Sunday, January 8, 2012

Missing a little bit of scrumptious.

Every January I do a month-long detox/cleanse.  I always feel incredibly good (and lighter) when I'm done, however that's not to say I don't really miss a few things....wine, salt, cheese, coffee, bread (did I mention wine?), and all my favorite cookbooks.  There are a few regulars in my not-another-taco-night-tonight repertoire, so while I am salivating over what I don't get to eat this month, I can at least get some visual pleasure out of a few staples I photographed this past year:

Smashing up some peas, mint and fava beans ala Jamie Oliver.
This was a delectable meal: 
Smashed peas/fava beans, mozzarella on sourdough toast; grilled peach, bresaola and goat cheese salad (both from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home); steamed lobster and lemon butter (fresh from the Atlantic).

 Bubbling Rhubarb Crisp (from Donna Hay Magazine, issue 9)...

 ...this cannot be eaten without a really good quality 'nilly ice cream.

Sweet Roasted Tomatoes with Harissa, Saffron and Labneh (got this out of British House & Garden magazine, Aug. 2008).  You can make your own labneh by straining yogurt mixed with garlic and herbs overnight, or if you're like me and usually decide to do it last-minute,  use a honey goat cheese and it is absolutely delicious.  Must serve with good crusty bread.
 

 Caramelizing garlic with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs.....

...caramelized garlic tart, from the cookbook Plenty (Yotam Ottolenghi)

Asparagus and Potato Tart, Jamie at Home (Jamie Oliver)

Blackberry jam with lemon and basil (I added blueberries too), adapted from The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook (Rachel Saunders)

This was my first canning experience.  I'm hooked.  And I'm now a big fan of adding basil to my jams.

Is it February yet??  I'm hungry!
Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment